Thursday, April 17, 2003
On Friday, 25 April 2003, the Middle Powers Initiative (MPI) will hold another Strategy Consultation at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland. The Consultation is chaired by Rt. Hon. Kim Campbell, former Prime Minister of Canada. Presenters include H.E. Mr. Laszlo Molnar, Chair, 2003 NPT PrepCom and Permanent Representative of Hungary to the UN in New York; Dr. Tadatoshi Akiba, Mayor of Hiroshima; and H.E. Mr. Tim Caughley, Permanent Representative of Aotearoa/New Zealand to the UN, Geneva and coordinator of the New Agenda Coalition.
Dr. Tariq Rauf, Head, Verification and Security Policy Coordination, IAEA, is responding to the presentations.
The off-the-record Consultation and the following reception can be attended by invitation only. For more information, please contact Dr. Urs Cipolat, MPI Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 775-6760 (phone)/(415) 775-6761 (fax).
On the basis of a thorough analysis of the status quo, MPI is making a number of concrete, practical recommendations about how to advance nuclear disarmament in today's new security environment. Download MPI's latest Briefing Paper from the Internet!
"Advancing the NPT 13 Practical Steps, MPI Briefing Paper by Dr. Urs Cipolat (PDF)
Location&Time of the Consultation:
Conference Room IX, Palais des Nations, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Program of the Consultation:
(For a printable version, click here.)
3:00 p.m. Welcome
- Mr. Jonathan Granoff, President, Global Security Institute
- Senator Douglas Roche, O.C., Chair, Middle Powers Initiative
3:10 p.m. Panel Presentation
- Chair: Rt. Hon. Kim Campbell, P.C., Former Prime Minister of Canada
- H.E. Laszlo Molnar, Chair, 2003 NPT PrepCom; Premanent Representative of Hungary to the UN, New York
- Dr. Tadatoshi Akiba, Mayor of Hiroshima
- H.E. Tim Caughley, Permanent Representative of Aotearoa/New Zealand to the UN, New York; Coordinator of the New Agenda Coalition
4:15 p.m. Respondent:
- Dr. Tariq Rauf, Head, Verification and Security Policy Coordination, IAEA
4:30 p.m. Participants' Discussion
5:45 p.m. Summation by Chair
6:00 p.m. Adjourn
6:30 p.m. Reception
The reception takes place at the Geneva Centre for Security Policy, 7bis av. de la Paix (Building of World Meteorological Organization.
Guest of Honor: H.E. Laszlo Molnar
Accreditation: For forms and information about accreditation and access to the UN in Geneva, click here.
NGO Program: For an overview of the NGO Program during the 2003 PrepCom, click here.